Friday, February 10, 2012

The power of a good theme song

When I was a kid there was nothing better than cartoons and the best part for me was always the theme song. Even as an adult I can think back and recall almost every word to some of my favorites- Jem, Thundercats, Captain Planet and of course there are some that I would rather not admit to watching- even today I'm a sucker for a good opening song.

Like most children my kids love cartoons and they each have their favorites. Some of Remy's current favorites are Phineas and Ferb, Spongebob and Luney Toons he usually doesn't sing or dance along but he does bop his head and get upset of Bryan fast forwards the intro. And then there is Jackie... Have you ever had a favorite song that you listened to over and over and over and it still never got old? Well, that's how Jackie is when she finds a new favorite show and the thing that always drags her in is the theme song.

This past year has been interesting watching Jackie develop her likes and dislikes and she is persistent in making it known. We ended last summer with her addicted to Barney the Dinosaur, which thanks to netflix we could set her up on the computer to watch. That obsession lasted until December and I must say was one of the worst. Next is Little Einsteins, which I personally don't mind and she's so cute singing and dancing along. Then Bubble Guppies which I can also tolerate. But the latest and probably the most annoying on is Team Umizumi. It's not the show itself that is annoying, but Jackie's obsession with it. She could be hanging out with me and the babies in their room and hear that song and her face lights up and she runs away shouting "zumi, zumi." Which that's ok and kind of cute, but what isn't is being woken up at 5am with her turning on the light in my room and hoovering over me waving the remote control saying "zumi, zumi." What is also not funny is being interrupted feeding the babies by bloody murder type screaming because Remy has changed the channel to something other than Umizumi. Last on my list of why I can't stand her obsession with this show is if I say you can watch your show later after I watch something I don't need you reminding me on every commercial break that you're ready to watch Umizumi.

There is two things I blame for this one, the theme song. From the moment she heard that song she was hooked. And second, I blame Bryan. He was the one that introduced her to the show and now he's created a monster. If only I could get her interested in My Little Ponies (*sigh*).

No comments:

Post a Comment