Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fathers and Play time

If I could take a snap shot of my husband playing with Remy and Jackie, I would be so filled with joy every time I saw it. You're probably thinking, well, take a picture or make a video. Neither of those things could truly capture the moment like I'm seeing it happen. It's often said that mothers are the nurturing ones and fathers the playmates, and in many ways this is very accurate.

For those of you who have never met my husband, Bryan, he is naturally a kid at heart. He loves video games, comic books, toys, and cartoons. He is also the one my children ask most often to play with them, especially since I've been pregnant. When it comes to playing in the house we have two rules: try not to hurt each other, and don't hit the TV. We have been known to throw balls, kick balls, jump off furniture, swing each other around, wrestle and play karate as long as the two basic rules aren't broken. I know it may sound like I live in a zoo, and believe me, there are times when I think that I do, but I'm a believer that play is an important part of growing up.
                             Bryan's "Spider-man Room" which will soon be the new nursery    

Now, don't get me wrong I love to play with my kids, but I don't always want to play what they want to play when they want to play. I do a lot more of the sit down play: the legos, play-doh, reading, puzzles, arts and crafts and make believe type stuff. Not that I don't like to get physical at times, I just don't want to do that stuff when I'm pregnant or tired. So, that leaves Bryan to do all the other stuff: the video games (mostly Wii), chase, lifting and flipping type of play. I could easily nickname him the On Demand playmate, what ever the kids ask for they get. In the end I think we compliment each other nicely.


As I sit back, watch and listen to the three of them playing, I find that I am so happy with my little family. The sounds of my children laughing and Bryan saying, "I'm gonna get you," doesn't make me feel left out at all, if anything I smile and wait.... Eventually someone will fall or break one of the rules ending play time in tears and I'm the one that they come to for the hugs and kisses needed to make everything better.

1 comment: